Monday, September 21, 2009

Old Town Bluesfest!

I only made it out to Bluesfest for Saturday night, but it was great. I caught Stan Budzynski & 3rd Degree, Biscuit Miller & the Mix and Kenny Neal.

Biscuit Miller & the Mix really did it for me. The sound was a mix of funk, blues and rock and the band's energy was so tangible I put some in my pocket and brought it home with me. They had a huge crowd in front of the stage dancing and shouting every time Miller asked "is it all right if I get my party on?" And he definitely did get his party on; the band threw beads in the audience and sold light-up sunglasses at their merchandise stand.

Every musician got a chance to solo during the set and they were all great. Tyler, a younger guy playing electric guitar, really stood out. He's got a voice like honey and solos to match.

Kenny Neal played next, and I ended up standing stage right and watching the drummer the whole time. He was great. His rhythms were technical, complicated and they fit the tunes perfectly.

Every one of Neal's songs were solid and it was clear that this band really enjoys playing together. That may come from them all pretty much being related, but it's refreshing nonetheless.

Overall, it was a great time and you should try to make it to the next Oldtown music event. Pictures will be up once I find the cord.

No comments:

Post a Comment